Skip to content

What Types of Federal Grants Can I Apply For Through SAM?


While SAM (System for Award Management) primarily serves as a registration and verification system for federal contracts, it is also used for some federal grant programs. The types of federal grants you can apply for through SAM may vary depending on the specific grant program and agency. Here are some common types of federal grants that you may apply for through SAM:

  1. Research Grants: These grants support scientific research and innovation across various fields, including healthcare, technology, environmental science, and social sciences. Agencies like the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the National Science Foundation (NSF) offer research grants.
  2. Community Development Grants: Federal agencies like the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) offer grants to support community development projects, affordable housing initiatives, and programs to address homelessness.
  3. Education Grants: Federal grants support education at various levels, from early childhood education to higher education. The Department of Education administers many grant programs aimed at improving educational outcomes.
  4. Health and Healthcare Grants: Federal agencies, such as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), offer grants to support public health initiatives, healthcare research, and the improvement of healthcare services.
  5. Environmental Grants: These grants fund projects related to environmental conservation, sustainability, and addressing climate change. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Department of Energy (DOE) offer environmental grants.
  6. Small Business Grants: Some federal agencies offer grants to support small businesses, particularly in areas like research and development, technology commercialization, and job creation. The Small Business Administration (SBA) is a key source of small business grant programs.
  7. Arts and Culture Grants: Federal agencies like the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) and the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) provide grants to support artistic and cultural initiatives.
  8. Nonprofit and Social Services Grants: Grants for nonprofit organizations may cover a wide range of services, including social services, youth development, and support for vulnerable populations. Agencies like the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) offer such grants.
  9. Agriculture and Rural Development Grants: These grants support agricultural research, rural development, and initiatives aimed at improving agricultural practices. The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) offers various grant programs in this category.
  10. Transportation and Infrastructure Grants: Federal agencies like the Department of Transportation (DOT) provide grants to support transportation infrastructure development, including road and bridge construction, public transit, and aviation projects.

It’s important to note that the availability of specific grant programs can change over time, and each grant program may have its own eligibility criteria and application requirements. To find and apply for federal grants through SAM, you should regularly check the SAM website and review the listings of available grant opportunities. Additionally, you should carefully review the requirements and guidelines provided for each grant program to ensure that your organization qualifies and can submit a competitive application.


Need Help?

Contact the FPR Help Desk through the following methods:

  • Phone: 1-866-717-5267 (toll-free)
  • Email:¬†

Ready to Renew Your SAM?

Take the First Step by Clicking Below:

Skip to content