Skip to content

Can SAM Be Used By International Businesses Interested in U.S. Trade Opportunities?


Yes, international businesses interested in U.S. trade opportunities can register and use the System for Award Management (SAM). Registration in SAM is a requirement for any entity, including international businesses, that wants to do business with the U.S. government. This includes bidding on federal contracts, receiving federal grants, and other U.S. trade opportunities.

However, there are some additional steps and considerations for international businesses registering in SAM:

  1. DUNS Number: (Now UEI#) International businesses need to obtain a Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS) number, which is a unique nine-digit identification number for each physical location of your business.
  2. NCAGE Code: International businesses must also obtain an NATO Commercial and Government Entity (NCAGE) code. The NCAGE code is used to identify international entities in SAM.
  3. Tax Identification: International businesses must provide their tax identification information during the SAM registration process. If your business is not based in the U.S., you will need to provide your foreign tax identification number.
  4. Bank Information: International businesses must also provide their bank information for Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) payments.
  5. Legal Considerations: International businesses should also be aware of any legal or regulatory requirements that may apply to them when doing business with the U.S. government.

Once the registration process is complete, international businesses can use SAM to search and bid on federal contract opportunities, just like domestic businesses.


Need Help?

Contact the FPR Help Desk through the following methods:

  • Phone: 1-866-717-5267 (toll-free)
  • Email:¬†

Ready to Renew Your SAM?

Take the First Step by Clicking Below:

Skip to content