Yes, international businesses registering in SAM (System for Award Management) may encounter additional requirements and considerations beyond the general registration process. These requirements are typically related to compliance with U.S. federal laws and regulations and may vary depending on the nature of the business and its activities in the United States. Here are some additional requirements and considerations for international businesses:
- Legal and Tax Compliance:
- International businesses registering in SAM must ensure they comply with all relevant U.S. federal, state, and local laws and regulations. This includes tax laws, employment laws, and any industry-specific regulations that may apply.
- Appropriate Business Structure:
- Foreign entities should have a legal business structure that is recognized and accepted in the United States. The specific requirements for business structures can vary by state and industry.
- Foreign Qualification:
- Depending on the business structure and state of registration, foreign entities may need to file for foreign qualification in the state(s) where they conduct business. This ensures compliance with state laws and regulations.
- Tax Identification Number (TIN):
- Some international businesses may need to obtain a U.S. Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) or Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for tax reporting purposes.
- Trade Agreements and Export Controls:
- International businesses involved in exporting or dealing with controlled goods and technologies should be aware of U.S. export control regulations, such as International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and Export Administration Regulations (EAR).
- Authorized Representatives:
- International businesses should designate authorized representatives who are knowledgeable about U.S. federal procurement and grant regulations. These representatives will interact with U.S. federal agencies during the registration and contracting/grant application processes.
- Contract-Specific Requirements:
- Depending on the specific federal contract or grant opportunity, there may be additional requirements, certifications, or clearances needed. These can vary widely based on the nature of the contract and the agencies involved.
- Language and Documentation:
- Some documents may need to be translated into English for submission and review. Ensure that all documentation submitted to SAM and federal agencies is in compliance with language requirements.
- Legal Counsel and Advisors:
- Ongoing Compliance:
- International businesses must maintain ongoing compliance with U.S. laws and regulations throughout the duration of their contracts or grant agreements.
International businesses should carefully review the specific requirements associated with their SAM registration and any federal contract or grant opportunities they pursue. Consulting with experts who are well-versed in international business and U.S. federal procurement can help ensure successful registration and compliance with all relevant requirements.
Contact the FPR Help Desk through the following methods:
- Phone: 1-866-717-5267 (toll-free)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ready to Renew Your SAM?
Take the First Step by Clicking Below: