Skip to content

Can I Appoint Someone to Register on My Behalf in SAM?

Appointing Someone to Register on Your Behalf in SAM

The System for Award Management (SAM) registration process can be complex, and some entities may choose to appoint a representative or third party to handle the registration process on their behalf. This can be especially beneficial if you lack the time, expertise, or resources to navigate the registration process yourself. While SAM allows for third-party registration, there are important considerations to keep in mind:

Authorized Entity Administrator

SAM requires an individual within your organization to serve as the “Authorized Entity Administrator.” This individual will be responsible for managing and overseeing the registration process. While you can appoint someone within your organization for this role, you cannot delegate this role to an external party.

Third-Party Registration Assistance

While you cannot appoint an external entity as the “Authorized Entity Administrator,” you can seek third-party assistance for the actual registration process. This means that you can hire a consultant, business services provider, or expert in government contracting to guide you through the steps, enter the required information accurately, and ensure compliance with all SAM requirements.

Power of Attorney

In certain cases, if you are unable to manage the registration process personally or through an internal team member, you may consider granting a power of attorney to an individual within your organization. This would authorize them to act on your behalf and handle the SAM registration process. However, the individual holding the power of attorney must still be a part of your organization.

Due Diligence

When appointing someone to assist with your SAM registration, it’s crucial to conduct due diligence. Ensure that the individual or third party you choose is reputable, experienced in government contracting, and well-versed in the SAM registration process. Additionally, clearly define the scope of their responsibilities and access rights to avoid any misunderstandings.

Maintaining Control

Even when appointing someone to assist with the SAM registration process, it’s essential to maintain control and oversight. The Authorized Entity Administrator should remain involved in the decision-making process and stay informed about the progress of the registration.


In summary, while you cannot appoint an external entity as the “Authorized Entity Administrator” in SAM, you can seek third-party assistance to navigate the registration process. Whether you choose to appoint someone within your organization, grant a power of attorney, or hire a consultant, the key is to ensure accuracy, compliance, and effective communication throughout the process.

If you’re considering appointing a representative to assist with your SAM registration, be sure to choose a reputable and knowledgeable professional who can guide you through the process successfully.

Need Assistance?

Contact the FPR Help Desk through the following methods:
  • Phone: 1-866-717-5267 (toll-free)
  • Email:
Skip to content