Skip to content

Can Foreign Businesses or Non-Profit Organizations Register in SAM?


Yes, both foreign businesses and non-profit organizations can register in SAM (System for Award Management) if they wish to do business with the U.S. federal government or apply for federal grants and assistance programs. SAM is not limited to U.S.-based entities, and it accommodates registrations from international businesses and non-profit organizations.

Here’s what foreign businesses and non-profit organizations should keep in mind when registering in SAM:

  1. Legal Eligibility: To register in SAM, foreign businesses must ensure they are legally eligible to do business in the United States. This typically involves meeting the legal requirements for conducting business within the U.S. jurisdiction.
  2. Required Information: Both foreign businesses and non-profit organizations will need to provide specific information during the SAM registration process. This includes details about their legal structure, contact information, Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN), financial information, and other relevant data.
  3. Documentation: Depending on the type of entity and the nature of the registration, there may be additional documentation requirements. These requirements can vary, so it’s essential to review the specific instructions provided during the registration process.
  4. International Registration Assistance: SAM provides resources and support to assist foreign entities in completing the registration process. This may include guidance on completing the required forms and providing the necessary information.
  5. D-U-N-S Number: Historically, businesses outside the U.S. were required to obtain a D-U-N-S number (Data Universal Numbering System) as part of their SAM registration. However, as of April 2022, the U.S. government transitioned to using the Unique Entity Identifier (UEI) instead of the D-U-N-S number. Foreign businesses may still need to obtain a UEI as part of the registration process.
  6. International Opportunities: Once registered in SAM, foreign businesses and non-profit organizations can access federal procurement opportunities and apply for federal grants and assistance programs. SAM allows them to search for opportunities that match their capabilities and interests.

In summary, foreign businesses and non-profit organizations are welcome to register in SAM to participate in U.S. federal procurement and grant programs. SAM provides a pathway for these entities to engage in business activities with the U.S. federal government, promoting international collaboration and competition in federal contracting and assistance.


Need Help?

Contact the FPR Help Desk through the following methods:

  • Phone: 1-866-717-5267 (toll-free)
  • Email:¬†

Ready to Renew Your SAM?

Take the First Step by Clicking Below:

Skip to content