Skip to content

What Documents Do I Need to Register in SAM?

The specific documents you need to register in SAM (System for Award Management) can vary depending on the type and purpose of your entity. However, there are common documents and information that most entities are typically required to provide during the registration process. Here are the key documents and details you should have on hand when registering in SAM:

  1. Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN): You’ll need your organization’s TIN, which is typically your Employer Identification Number (EIN) if you are a business or a Social Security Number (SSN) if you are a sole proprietorship.
  2. Legal Business Name: The full and official name of your organization, as registered with the appropriate government authorities.
  3. Data Universal Numbering System (D-U-N-S) Number: While SAM transitioned to using the Unique Entity Identifier (UEI) as of April 2022, some entities may still be required to provide their D-U-N-S number during the registration process.
  4. Financial Information: You may need to provide financial information, such as your organization’s annual revenue, assets, and liabilities. This information helps federal agencies assess your financial stability.
  5. Legal Structure: Details about your organization’s legal structure, such as whether you are a corporation, LLC, sole proprietorship, non-profit organization, etc.
  6. Ownership Information: If your organization is privately owned, you may need to provide information about the owners, partners, or key executives. This can include names, addresses, and percentages of ownership.
  7. SAM Certification and Representations: Some registrations require specific certifications and representations, such as those related to your organization’s size status (e.g., small business, woman-owned), compliance with federal regulations, and adherence to specific clauses or requirements.
  8. Commercial and Government Entity (CAGE) Code: If your organization has a CAGE code, you may be required to enter it as part of your registration.
  9. Banking Information for Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT): If you expect to receive payments from federal contracts or grants, you’ll need to provide banking information for Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT). This includes your bank’s name, account number, and routing number.
  10. Past Performance Information (for Contractors): If you are a federal contractor, you may be asked to provide information about your past performance on federal contracts.
  11. Entity’s Physical and Mailing Address: Accurate and up-to-date contact information, including your entity’s physical location and mailing address.
  12. Dun & Bradstreet (D&B) Information: In some cases, you may need to provide additional business credit information obtained from Dun & Bradstreet.
  13. Certifications and Documentation for Special Programs: If you are applying for special programs, such as Small Business Administration (SBA) certifications, you may need to provide specific documentation to support your eligibility.

Please note that the exact documentation requirements can vary based on factors such as your entity’s type, size, and purpose for registering in SAM. It’s advisable to consult the SAM website and follow the specific instructions provided during the registration process to ensure that you provide all necessary documents accurately and completely. Additionally, SAM may request additional documentation during the review and validation process to verify the information you’ve provided.


Need Help?

Contact the FPR Help Desk through the following methods:

  • Phone: 1-866-717-5267 (toll-free)
  • Email:¬†

Ready to Renew Your SAM?

Take the First Step by Clicking Below:

Skip to content